- stained glass
- nounglass that has been colored in some way; used for church windows• Hypernyms: ↑glass• Hyponyms: ↑Tiffany glass
* * *noun: glass colored or stained; especially : window glass colored throughout by metallic oxides fused into it or remaining white and cased with colored glass or into whose surface the pigments have been burned
* * *—stained-glass, adj.glass that has been colored, enameled, painted, or stained, esp. by having pigments baked onto its surface or by having various metallic oxides fused into it, as used in church windows, decorative lampshades, etc.[1785-95]
* * *stained glass nounGlass painted with certain pigments fused into its surface• • •Main Entry: ↑stain
* * *stained glass UK [ˌsteɪnd ˈɡlɑːs] US [ˌsteɪnd ˈɡlæs] noun [uncountable]glass that has been coloured or painted, traditionally used in church windowsThesaurus: types and forms of glasshyponymDerived Word: stained-glass
* * *stained glass,1. colored glass used in sheets or fitted pieces in church windows to form a picture, or in mosaic or composite designs.2. any enameled or painted glass.
* * *n. colored glass used to form decorative or pictorial designs, notably for church windows, both by painting and esp. by setting contrasting pieces in a lead framework like a mosaic
* * *noun [noncount]: colored glass that is used to make pictures and patterns in windows
a cathedral with beautiful stained glass windows
* * *pieces of coloured glass that are put together to make windows, especially in churches
Useful english dictionary. 2012.